Top 25 Anime Quotes of all Time
Oct 28, 2013 by raitoavi
While it would be much more suitable to actually create this post in november, none of the staff have been blessed with patience. It will be 4 years since we started the AnimeQuotes.net project next month. When we first started there was perhaps one other site that focused on nothing but anime quotes, nowadays there are some incredible sites out there with their own unique collections and presentation style. not to mention twitter, tumblr, and facebook accounts dedicated to the matter.
It has always been our goal from the very beginning, to not settle for lame quotes just to increase our collection, but instead only share those that truly stood out, and to show the philosophical and psychological, even poetic side of both anime and manga. We do our best to stand by that rule to this day (even though we just posted the anime quotes boob edition).
Below is our hand-picked 25 favorite anime quotes of all time, which is a mixture of both long and short quotes, some poetic, some philosophical, others just hold a special place in our hearts. Most importantly, the list is subjective, and in no particular order. Feel free to share some of your own favorites!
Top 25 Favorite Quotes of all Time
1. In manga, there’s always a character who gets a sudden boost of power, right? Readers always call it a ‘convenient power up’, but it actually does happen in the real world, as well. We Humans only truly show our mettle when we’re pushed into a corner.
Shinobu Takamiya (Beelzebub)
2. Once you taste poison, you might as well finish the meal. If it comes to that you would make as fine a dish as any.
Horo (Spice and Wolf)
3. There are many types of monsters that scare me: Monsters who cause troubles without showing themselves, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood… and then, monsters who tell nothing but lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance: They are much more cunning than others: They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart; they eat even though they’ve never experienced hunger; they study even though they have no interest in academics; they seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such monsters, I would likely be eaten by them… because in truth, I am that monster.
L (Death Note)
4. Life is basically like a soap bubble.
It rides on the wind, flying here and there,
…And before you realize it, pop! It’s gone.
When it’s about to disappear, you think
that you could’ve flown a bit higher.
But by the time, it’s already too late.
Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
5. Getting dumped always makes a man stronger, but then again, men aren’t meant to pursue happiness…
Jiraiya (Naruto Shippuden)
6. Man proposes, God disposes.
Shintaro Midorima (Kuroko No Basket)
7. Religion, ideology, resources, land, spite, love or just because… No matter how pathetic the reason, it’s enough to start war. War will never cease to exist… reasons can be thought up after the fact… Human nature pursues strife.
Paine (Naruto Shippuden)
8. The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy.
Kyoko Hoin (Kodomo no Jikan)
9. There is nothing more noble and beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God.
Treize Khushrenada (Gundam Wing)
10. Constellations of stars that I am seeing for the first time… you are all only allowed to exist as objects for my conquest and rule. Just wait.
Reinhard von Lohengramm (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
11. In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? Perhaps Man has no control even over his own will
12. People are like dice, a certain Frenchman said that. You throw yourself in the direction of your own choosing. People are free because they can do that. Everyone’s circumstances are different, but no matter how small the choice, at the very least, you can throw yourself. It’s not chance or fate. It’s the choice you made.
Rokuro Okajima (Black Lagoon)
13. Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what’s wrong and what’s right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
Donquixote Doflamingo (One Piece)
14. Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is nearly impossible for a man to try to live without hope, so I guess that leaves Man no choice but to walk around with despair as his companion.
Kagetoki Kariya (Samurai Champloo)
15. What are you doing? Why do you run Ichigo? You still have not called me. Face forward, Ichigo. You should be able to hear it now. That which blocks your ears is worthless fear. The enemy is one, you are one. What is there to fear? Cast off your fear. Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. Shout…my name is…ZANGETSU!
16. Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
17. There’s no hope on the battlefield. It has nothing but unspeakable despair. Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated. Yet humanity has never recognized this truth. And the reason for that is, in every era, a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed. The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age.
Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate/Zero
18. The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty.
Kino (Kino no Tabi)
19. This is my cocoon dream. The nightmare that has been tormenting my existence in this world. I was walking along this path. I remember cold winds stinging my cheeks that were wet from tears. I heard a sound from far away. But I was too tired to think. I remember wanting to become a stone. A stone that doesn’t feel pain. Or sorrow.
Reki (Haibane Renmei)
20. If you’re not remembered, then you never existed.
Iwakura Lain (Serial Experiments Lain)
21. Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire.
Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
22. In a world like that, there’d be no need for love anymore either. If everyone were perfect, there would be no need to look out for others. Sympathy or love is needed because people are imperfect. A perfect human cannot love anyone.
Keima Katsuragi (The World God Only Knows)
23. There are only two paths you can choose. You can sit quietly and be selected out of this world, or you can adapt and change!
Gai Tsutsugami (Guilty Crown)
24. People SHOULD be doubted. Many people misunderstand this concept. Doubting people is just a part of getting to know them. What many people call ‘trust’ is really just giving up on trying to understand others, and that very act is far worse than doubting. It is actually ‘apathy.’
Shinichi Akiyama (Liar Game)
25. People, who can’t throw something important away, can never hope to change anything.
Armin Arlert (Shingeki no Kyojin)
What are Some of Your Favorite Quotes? Let’s Hear Them!